Doctorís Orders: Sunshine Can Boost Your Bedroom Performance
- Sunlight is our best method for obtaining vitamin D. Spending about 15-20 minutes 3 to 4 times a week out in the sun can help increase vitamin D status.
- Eat more fatty fish. This includes salmon, trout, mackerel, tuna, and eel. A 3-ounce portion of sockeye salmon fillet contains about 450 international units (IU) of vitamin D.
- Many orange juices are now fortified with vitamin D. An 8-ounce glass will provide around 100 IUs of it.
- Egg yolks are another good source as it contains 40 IUs of vitamin D
- Cereals fortified with vitamin D can be another dietary option for the sunshine vitamin. A one-cup serving of Multi Grain Cheerios with one-half cup of milk also fortified with vitamin D is 90 IUs.
- A 3.5 ounce serving of beef liver contains about 50 IUs of vitamin D.
- Cod liver oil is an excellent source of vitamin D with one tablespoon containing about 1,300 IUs.
- Vitamin D supplements are always an option, particularly if a person does not eat much vitamin D rich foods and they are indoors the majority of the time. Check with a physician on their recommendation of a vitamin D supplement. Generally, it is advised to take vitamin D3 of up to 2,000 IU daily.